- four-year challenge aimed at reducing total energy use in participating office buildings by 10%
- open to all landlords and tenants of office buildings across the Toronto region
- unprecedented collaboration between office building landlords and tenants
- recognizes participants with annual awards celebrating successes of landlords and tenants
- working together to achieve economic and environmental benefits
- easy to join and simple to manage with free resources and support from experts
Program Scope & Significance
Both landlords and tenants have a role to play in energy reduction – tenant use of office space can represent 25-50% of a building’s total energy use.
Race to Reduce is a unique Greening Greater Toronto program that represents unprecedented collaboration between office building landlords and tenants to encourage smart energy use. It encourages behavioral and positive team-building amongst landlords, tenants and their employees.
Race to Reduce is a plan of action and a tool kit of technical advice and case study intelligence and know-how that will guide organizations in:
- increasing awareness of their energy use
- measuring and monitoring their energy use
- changing the way they operate or changing the equipment they use to reduce their energy use / increase their energy efficiency.
The Race to Reduce is supported by core utility providers – Toronto Hydro, Enbridge Gas – as well as one of our leading landlord partners, Oxford Properties, and industry partners Building Owner and Managers Association (BOMA) Toronto, Canada Green Building Council and Real Property Association of Canada (REALpac).
For over a decade, CivicAction has played the role of neutral sandbox, bringing together senior executives and rising leaders from all sectors to tackle challenges facing the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area. CivicAction builds partnerships and takes action through campaigns, programs and organizations that transform our region. For more information, visit: www.civicaction.ca, or follow us on Twitter @CivicActionGTHA.